« Ajo, Aruba :( | Main | I'm in Boston! »

Yes, I'm lazy. You knew that.

Well, I didn't die and disappear in Ohio. I've just applied my picture-uploading procrastination skills to blog-writing! So here's a massive update to appease those who wanted all the boring details of my trip.

Detroit and Toledo were fun, as always. Spent a couple days in Detroit since we had a NiN concert to see up there. There wasn't any moshing going on, so we formed a mosh pit ourselves! Then I had the brilliant idea of going crowdsurfing. Apparently the crowd wasn't so familiar with the concept of crowdsurfing, so I made it about 8' out before being dropped onto the nice soft concrete floor. I was limping for a couple days, and I could still feel it over a week later. I think I badly bruised the back of my pelvis. It was still fun though!

I spent a week and a half in Toledo staying with Jason and Heather. I took the opportunity while they were at work to borrow a bike and bike (sorry, CYCLE as some people might insist on saying) around Toledo. They have decent bike trails there so it was pretty fun. Of course we made the obligatory Cedar Point trip. We picked a great day since it was a bit chilly and a Friday, so the park was practically deserted. I don't think we waited more than 5 - 10 minutes in line for any ride, so we managed to ride all the major rollercoasters in just a few hours.

After that it was off to LA. NANOG was going on while I was there, so I hung around the NANOG hotel for a couple days since I hadn't been to one in a while so there were plenty of old friends to say hi to. Oh yeah, and we made a nice trip to Sushi Sasabune (two in fact, since we went again after my sister came out to the LA area for a few days.) It most certainly lived up to its reputation. Best sushi I've ever had (well, I haven't been to Japan yet, so I'll see how the sushi over there stacks up when I make it there!) Past that I mostly just hung out with friends for my two weeks there. We went to the LA Zoo one weekend (one of my friends had free tickets,) where one of the feature attractions on the tram tour was the orangutang house "where we'd keep orangutangs if we had any," to quote the tour guide. Next time, San Diego Zoo, free tickets or not.

Oh yeah, and I made a weekend trip to Chicago the first weekend in November. Went geocaching with a bunch of people who drove over there from Toledo. Kinda funny, making a side trip from LA to Chicago. When I was flying back to LA I almost felt like I was going home since I'd made LA my home base for a couple weeks. Except I technically don't have a home at the moment, so it was kind of strange.

Past LA took me to Dallas to visit my parents, since they live in Plano now. It's nice visiting my parents and all, but honestly the Dallas area isn't quite my favorite place to be. I tried running one night; my planned 4.5 mile run turned into about 10 miles after I got lost. Plano seems to be comprised of identical-looking neighborhoods full of identical-looking houses, so coupled with my poor sense of direction, I ended up having to call my parents for directions home. Well, at least I got a lot of exercise that night! I tried biking around Plano as well. They do have a decent number of bike trails, but they're connected by "bike routes" on the roads, which basically means nothing because the cars just speed by at 60mph on said "bike routes" and act as if bicycles shouldn't be on the road. Oh, and the bike trails conveniently cross those 4-lane and 6-lane roads that they like to build in Plano. Except they forgot to do something intelligent like put up lights at the road crossings, making it impossible to cross if there's any significant volume of traffic. Apparently the only acceptable mode of transportation on roads in Texas is by SUV. I also got my Indian visa in person while I was there; that was a 6.5 hour ordeal in the morning waiting to submit my application, and 2 hours in the evening waiting to get my passport back. Note to self: do not apply for an Indian visa in person ever again. Well, at least I got to visit my parents! Plano really isn't nearly as horrible as I described (well, it IS full of Wal-Marts, so maybe it is that horrible), but I just felt like venting after getting annoyed over and over by the city infrastructure (or lack thereof.) I also had some sort of recessive cooking gene magically activate, since I got bored and started cooking stuff for dinner for myself and my parents. My masterpiece for the week was a portobello mushroom sandwich on a layer of stuffing on ciabatta bread with an olive tapanade spread (which I made from scratch), fresh mozzarella, and tomato, along with a side of garlic sun-dried tomato polenta, and some grilled vegetables for good measure. The cracked peppercorn and mustard seed encrusted blue-cheese stuffed filet mignon medallions I made another night came out quite tasty too! It was probably all a fluke though; I'll probably set the house on fire next time I try to cook anything.

Tuesday the 22nd I leave Dallas for Toledo. I've had friends from near and far over for Thanksgiving in Boston for the past 4 years, so since I've left Boston we decided to move our traditional Thanksgiving to Toledo. Except it seems nobody other than me out of our usual bunch of people can make it, sadly. So we're just going to have Thanksgiving dinner at Heather's parents' house since we won't have the regular cadre of people to do our traditional cooking-impaired Thanksgiving dinner. Of course, we'll still have the traditional Friday after-Thanksgiving party at Jason and Heather's! The Sunday after Thanksgiving, I'm off for India. Now that should make for some actual interesting blogging.

Oh yeah, and I'm writing this from the Atlanta airport. For very strange reasons. On Monday, obviously. What am I doing spending all day traveling away from and back to Dallas on Monday when I have a 6:30AM flight to Toledo on Tuesday, you might ask? Nope, it's not a mileage run. But I'll leave that unanswered for the moment...

I also seem to have entered a 48-hour schedule. I stayed up all night Friday since I couldn't sleep and had a 9AM business meeting on Saturday. So then I just stayed up, and slept about 15 hours Saturday night. And I just stayed up all night Sunday, despite my best effort to fall asleep on the DFW-ATL flight (and I even got my upgrade to first class, so I had plenty of space to be comfortably asleep.) So theoretically I should sleep 15 or 16 hours again tonight and stay on my 48 hour schedule! Except for that pesky 6:30AM flight Tuesday. Oops. I'm going to be rather tired when I get to Toledo since I'll probably stay up all of tonight since I'll only be back at my parents' house for about 5 hours before I need to leave for Toledo, and I need to repack my suitcases. Oh, and on top of that I turned the Dallas-Toledo flight into a mileage run, since I need to hit 50k miles by year-end on Delta to get Gold elite status. So rather than fly the logical DFW-DTW (Detroit)-TOL route, I'm flying DFW-MEM (Memphis)-MSP (Minneapolis)-MKE (Milwaukee)-DTW-TOL. Only cost about $3 more than the 1 stop flight, netting me 2700 miles rather than 1482 miles. My calculations put me at 50028 miles after my flight to India.

Pictures, pictures, pictures. They'll be up eventually. No more promises of uploading them soon, but I'll try my best. I'll probably end up with a decent amount of free time the first couple weeks in India, so HOPEFULLY I'll finish up then. Sorry, I'm just horribly lazy; I could've easily finished them while I was in Dallas.

Wish me restful flights for the rest of today and for tomorrow... zzzzzzz. I commend anyone who got this far without falling asleep themselves. I'm just too tired to write anything scintillating. :(